Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sesame Street Today

So yesterday, I was watching Sesame Street with Lexi while I was getting the girls ready for a walk, and of course, they had a good helping of this little muppet: Abby Cadabby

I don't know what it is that gets under my skin so much with this character. Maybe it's the overly childish manner in her speech. Maybe it's her naive personality that just makes her appear stupid. Maybe it's the way she comes off as better than others. Whatever the reason, I just can't like her. I've tried to see how a character like this could be beneficial in teaching young kids, and I just can't find it. For those of you who haven't seen this girl, here's a video to give you a taste. (Warning: Watch at your own risk. Hair pulling may ensue, spontaneous nausea may come, and random "What the ?" will inevitably be present)

This song played yesterday, and after the first 10 seconds, it was off. I've heard this song more times than I care to recall. It always sounds like she's really saying, "I have all these cool things, and you don't, but that's okay, I can still be your friend. I'll come down to your level of uncoolness and try not to rub it in that I have magic and whatnot." (oddly, this reminds me of someone I knew in high school...sad, huh?) Then she continues to say all these things she can learn from us, further illustrating that she is too many tacos short of a combo platter. I'm probably being overly critical of this character, but out on my walk, I was thinking of how I would re-word this song if I could:
" I have wings, but you don't have them.
You have a brain, and I have none.
But children with brains and children with wings,
can come together and have some fun."

Okay Okay, you get the point. Maybe it's just my age, since I did find Elmo cute when I was younger. Now he's just a immature little red monster that teaches bad grammar to my parroting 2 year old, not to mention other things. Fortunately, Mom and Dad talk to her normally so his bad grammar hasn't affected her as of yet.

I'll have to admit, Sesame Street is definitely different than I remembered it growing up. We don't see as much of the classic characters anymore. I miss Grover's shenanigans, the real Ernie and Bert (not the claymation versions we see more of), and Kermit is now gone. Ed doesn't even remember when he was on, but I do. His roving reporter skits were classic! Instead we are watching Baby Bear who talks like, well, a baby. Telly has become a sissy, more than before. Even Oscar is starting to be nice sometimes. Bleh! And why does everyone think Ernie and Bert are gay? Isn't it normal that two bachelors share an apartment? It used to be. I lived with 5 other girls at one point, what does that say about me?

I could go on about what Public Television is really becoming, but I digress... just wanted to get a little Abby Cadabby venting out of the way.... Thank you.

To leave on a positive note about Sesame Street, here's a spoof they did that I thought was funny...if you've seen High School Musical.

5 comments:

Boxcope30 said...

telly worse then he was how could that be. he is so winey and annoying.

Alex and Brittany said...

wow, your feelings sure are strong!! i completely understand! though i have to say when i was watching the video my little 3 month was watching Abby and loving her annoying voice. Good thing she's too young to get hooked on any of those shows!!

JandA said...

I feel your pain! I let my daughter watch once in a while. There are quite few shows I am concerned about. I can't remember when or who said it, I do know it was a talk by a general authority about actively watching TV with your kids...let me tell ya, if I didn't I too would have my daughter parroting words incorrectly. Ahhh, frustrating!!! On a side note, your girls sure are getting big and are super cute!

JandA said...

P.S. I miss Kermit too!

Me said...

O---kay.
Abby Cadabby wouldn't have survived the hard knock Sesame Street we all grew up on. Oscar would have ate her.